Sunday, September 4, 2011

Grocery Shopping

So, today Michael (my husband) and I went to a drugstore in town where they sell a lot of the bariatric friendly vitamins, supplements and protein powders that will become the mainstays of my diet after my surgery.  Basically, my new grocery store.  I walked out with lighter wallet ($110.00) and 10 different items.  I'm sure I overbought, because when it comes to food, I almost always do, lol.   The products I purchased included;

Nectar protein powder in Chocolate Truffle (seemed to be the favorite flavor of everyone I have asked)
Nectar protein powder, Unflavored (I plan to add this to soups and other savory-type foods but I assume it will work well in puddings and cream of wheat and rice cereals)
Bariatric Advantage sublingual Vitamin B12 (sublingual means it dissolves under the tongue, because the part of the intestine that normally absorbs it is bypassed during the surgery)
Dry Peanut Butter powder, for adding to shakes, pudding, etc.
Bariatric Advantage Calcium Chews in Lemon
Bariatric Advantage Calcium Chews in Caramel
Pure Protein Gelatin cups-6 pack in Tropical Fruit flavor (bought on a whim, mostly for the clear liquid stage).
2 Types of gummy vitamins, my doctor okayed them for me to take because all of the different powdery type bariatric chewables I tried made me feel nauseated.

There were a lot of different flavors of the Nectar powders, from fruity to coffee and vanilla.  Fortunately, a friend at the gym gave me a huge sampling of all of the ones she has which is great because I can avoid buying big containers of unpalatable flavors. I also read that adding powdered milk to some recipes can boost the protein count without dropping as much cash as buying the unflavored protein powder.  I also think I'll be buying other supplements such as Biotin and Iron, anything to prevent or lessen dreaded hair loss stage after surgery.  I can always add them once I see how my pouch handles the main vitamins, kwim?

Are you a post-op?  What were your favorite products and flavors during the different diet phases?

No comments:

Post a Comment